Sunday, August 2, 2009

OUI OUI PARIS!

Yes, I do have the best husband in the world. Yes, he did take me to Paris for my birthday. Yes, we did climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower (and by climb, I mean ride the tram - we're not crazy!) Yes, we did hear the bells of Notre Dame. (Don't worry, I didn't embarrass my husband by singing the song too loudly, but yes, I did sing it.) Yes, we did visit the final resting place of Victor Hugo. Yes, we did walk around all over the city in the middle of the night and eat dinner at 11pm. Yes, we did stand in a room with millions of dead bodies, and it was AWESOME! Yes, we did make it to the train station for the trip home only 2 minutes before our train left, and finally, Yes, I did eat oysters, but I didn’t try the frog legs or the snails. – don’t get me wrong, I absolutely would have if we had been there longer, but we only really got to eat one real dinner, so I had to make sacrifices.

Seriously though, probably the best 2 ½ days ever. It was hot and stinky and we must have walked a million miles, and ridden way too many Subways filled with way too many people who have never heard of deodorant, but still hands down, the most fun I have had in forever. Two words my friends: NO KIDS! And that truly was the most joyous part of our little escape. I honestly think that we could have been in Milwaukee, and it would have been almost as wonderful as this was... Almost. After all, it was Paris!

PS I justify my shameless bragging by telling myself that you are all welcome to rub it in when you are watching movies in a real movie theater, or eating American hamburgers or (sigh) real Mexican(american) food, or spending time with family that you didn’t have to fly internationally with your three insane children to visit. No bitterness there, right?


Doug at the top of the Eiffel Tower - with crazy eyes!





poor painter guy...










Bells, bells, bells, bells...
bells, bells, bells, bells...
BELLS OF NOTRE DAME!!!!!! (performed by Laura)




One more pic that we took ourselves and thus cut out the main object...





Scary place - scary face (not sure what is up here!)




Me and my buddy Vic...




We walked like 5 miles in the middle of the
night to get this awesome blurry shot!





"STOP! This is the empire of death"




Poor Tido...




Giant hand...
Itsy bitsy teeny weeny - Arc de Triomphe





Yeah I can't really explain these last two pictures other than to say that we could only take so many dorky pics of me or Doug by ourselves, or the long arm double chin pictures, and since the kids weren't around... Although, since it is fast Sunday today, I am particularly enjoying the second to last pic, and I am kind of wishing that I had skipped a couple of those other dumb tower pics, and taken more awesome food pics!





6 comments:

cpcox99 said...

Hooray! You have a blog!! It sounds like you had a blast! Miss you Laura!

DebLawson said...

Wow, what a fun time you guys had.
Funny to see a lot of the same pics Gene came home with....

I am currently eating
"Sarotti Marzipan gefullte halbbitter-schokolade"


Mein favorite!
I am eating the whole thing and gaining 2 lbs. all in a matter of a few moments.

I hope to get to Germany next time Gene goes... and if he ends up with another job, then hopefully we can just come out for the heck of it! I am most envious that he spent the afternoon with my favorite friend.

I'll add your blog to mine, k?

Call me soon!

Ich liebe dich! und, Ich liebe meine bett! (huh? something dumb I always said at Rick's!) :0)

L said...

Rats! I watched your blog all the time so that I could be the first to leave a comment on your first post! Lame. Also lame are the pictures of you guys in paris that I'm not in!!! We should fix that soon. It looks like you had fun though, and if it makes you feel better I would have sung (is that correct english?) to the bells with you... I did just sitting here at my computer :)

Elliott saw a guy bear his testimony today and loudly pronounced him to be "Uncle Doug" It was nice of Doug to fly all the way to our ward to bear his testimony to us... though you should be aware, afterwards he went back to a bench and put his arm around some blonde chick. Of course Elliott is two.

Anyway, longest comment ever. We miss you guys!!! as said in Anastasia "soon we will be Together In Paris!!!"

Unknown said...

Yay! You have a blog! I am going to favorite it so that I can check it often! I am jealous that I can't be there with you though...what I would give to go visit you with Britt!

The Staker Family said...

WOW! Does that about sum it up? So we were chatting on facebook, but it stopped working. Anyway, I am so jealous of your amazing trip, but will totally rub it in that in the last week I have had Cafe Rio and a big greasy cheeseburger, and been to the movies and let's see what else did you say, oh, we had a family reunion a couple of weeks ago and I did have to drive about 2 hours to see family! BUT I don't feel any better about not being in PARIS! Enjoy and remember it's only for a little while. Love ya, post more often than I do so I can live vicariously through you as a world traveler!

Lori Muir said...

Awesome! What an opportunity. It totally beats hamburgers and family -- duh. We recently got back from Canada where I was privileged to taste the unique cuisine of Poutein (french fries, gravy, white cheese curdy things)not quite the same as Parisian cuisine I don't think.